Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day Dad! I hope that you had a wonderful day. Today during sacrament meeting we had two really good speakers. While they were talking about their fathers, I was able to think about some of the things I remembered about you while growing up.

Contrary to what mom says, "you kids only remember the bad things," I don't remember the bad things. I remember our trips to Palm Springs and swimming in the pool with you throwing me up in the air and landing in the deep end. I remember how fun it was to have "room service" bring us breakfast on our last day there. I remember driving to Idaho and stopping over in St. George (when it was just a little town with nothing more than a few shops and the temple) and you taking a nap in the middle of the night on the temple lawn. I remember family reunions and us kids trying to tape you and Uncle Philip & Uncle Keith snoring to see who was actually the loudest snorer. Amzaingly, we you all stopped snoring as soon as we got into the room to tape you. Guess what, I married a man who snores as loud if not louder than you!

I remember you coming to my Freshman Home Economics "Brunch" and eating what we had prepared. I loved cooking and having you eat the food I had prepared. You always told me it was delicious!

I remember all of the nights I would come home from Baker's Square and you would come into my room and count my tips with me. I had more fun doing that and listening to you tell me how I should put so much into my jar of spending and how much I should save. I'm pretty sure that is why I love putting money into my savings account today. Every time I go to the bank I have flash backs of counting my tips with you.

I remember how you always were able to fix things for us. If I had a school project, I could go to your workshop and find something to use. Like when I had to do a mission project and I used scrap pieces of wood to make a fence, saw dust for the ground and your soldering tool to make little metal balls that I put into tiny baskets.

I remember watching you make things and paint the house and how you were always such a perfectionist. How everything always looked so nice, and PERFECT! This has been somewhat of a downfall though, because you have set a standard for my husband that he was never even aware of!!!! ha ha ha

I remember you coming to my aid in High School with Mr. Petralia. I was so glad that you didn't completely take his side and that you were willing to show up and support me.

There are many other things but what I love the most about you dad is the fact that you always know what to tell me to make me feel better. Specifically with my last pregnancy and we were worried about Ryan and what the doctors had told us. You quoted a scripture about faith to me. You also told me that all would be okay and that you and mom were praying for me, the baby and our family. You had faith when I did not. You were strong when I was weak. You have always showed me that you love me no matter what and I love that you love my family as well. You said that Ryan would be "perfect" and he is just that.

Thank you for being such a wonderful father and dad. I love you very much! Happy Father's Day DAD!

2 comments:

Kathy Habel said...

What a great tribute.

Whimsy said...

This was just so sweet, Kimmie. I have so many of these memories too!